Special Projects Unit:
The Special Projects Unit provides legal counseling and representation to Broward County residents who are eligible to receive benefits from various federal and state programs. We take a holistic approach in helping persons overcome the legal barriers that may have kept them from achieving their goal of authentic self-sufficiency. Specifically, the Special Projects Unit represents those persons who have been unfairly sanctioned by federal and state programs whereby cash assistance, food stamps, child care, and educational and/or work opportunities have been denied. Our holistic approach ensures these persons receive an appropriate assessment and placement into higher education and/or work activities that lead them to a better future for them and their families. In addition, we work to ensure that support services such as bus passes, gas cards, transportation, clothing allowances, among others, are provided if wrongfully denied.
Who is Eligible?
Individuals whose income is not more that 187% of the federal poverty guidelines are eligible for our services. Click here for the current federal poverty guidelines: http://www.liheap.ncat.org/profiles/povertytables/FY2013/popstate.htm.
What We Do:
Legal Aid Service of Broward County’s Special Projects Unit represents clients at administrative hearings as well as litigates in state and federal courts and includes addressing certain issues which could result in community wide impact.
What You Need:
- Driver’s License or other picture identification
- Proof of income
- All documents pertaining to the legal problem
- If applicant is not a U.S. citizen: Proof of alien status (permanent resident card)
Clients are seen by appointment only. Call 954-736-2472. Initial intake interviews are at the Legal Aid Center for Law and Social Justice, 491 N. State Road 7, Plantation, FL 33317.
Links to Helpful Websites:
- Agency for Workforce Innovation
- Dynamic Works Institute (formerly Learning Link)
- Enterprise Florida, Inc.
- Florida Department of Education
- Division of Blind Services
- Division of Vocational Rehabilitation
- Florida National Entrepreneur Center (NEC)
- Florida Resource Directory
- Information Technology Task Force
- State Agency and Services Directory (MyFlorida.com)
- Florida Association of Rehabilitation Facilities
- Florida Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- Florida Department of Juvenile Justice
- Florida Department of Elder Affairs
- Florida Department of Children and Families